Thursday, August 21, 2014

August 2nd-5th: Chanar, A New Shaman's Initiation

August 3rd

Basically, it was family playing and hanging out until we got the car to go back to UB. Nothing really noteworthy, although I had a lot of fun playing with the kids, picking them up and giving them “horsey rides” and the like. 

August 4th

I woke up at 6:30 and packed my bags to go off with ML to the country side.  I had been told to bring a sleeping bag, a deel, and warm clothing. I knew that Khulan and TS would be there, but otherwise, I knew nothing of what would be coming up in the next two days, just that it was big and only happened once a year.  I packed my Mongolian deel and put on my Tibetan chuba, put on good boots, packed a wool sweater and a jacket, my sleeping bag, fully charged camera battery, new camera card and my solar charger for my phone and waited to hear from ML.  ML came to pick me up at around 7:15 and drove me over to his place.

We came inside his home where another shaman, HT, was sitting with his mother.  His mother had made Khuushuu for breakfast.  We ate Khuushuur and drank tea while ML made his own preparations. He got dressed in a beautiful dark brown deel with navy blue lining.  He also wore a traditional Mongolian leather hat with fur flaps and a knotted top.  We went out to ML’s ger and were soon joined by several of ML’s disciples. One of them was a tall young man with a buzz cut and a shy smile.  He asked HT to put on a traditional cream colored deel.  Realizing he had forgotten a hat, the young man was forced to wear a white, lacy, women’s sun hat.   This young man, “Damba”, was the newest shaman initiate.  Today would be the day he would become a shaman. 

A white khadag was laid across his hands and he held in his right hand a silver bowl full of milk.  ML sat on his cushions and Damba knelt in front of him and recited a long ritual speech. Clearly the speech had to be memorized word for word, because he occasionally stumbled, and others would remind him of the words.  When he finished, he stood up and circled the ger clockwise, standing in front of each person and holding out the milk.  That person would cup Damba’s hands in theirs and bring the milk to their lips, drinking a sip, and then releasing the cup.  When he finished the circle, he returned in front of ML and drank the remainder of the milk. 

The instant the ceremonial portion was over, everything became relaxed, ML teasing and joking, and both men practically tearing off their deels.  I joked with TS, a female disciple I had met before.  Soon, a great number of people had arrived. The shamans packed up their altars entirely and we piled into cars and vans and headed to ML’s sacred site.

A pick-up truck arrived a few minutes before us and some men were working on setting up a ger on the north side of the sacred circle.  We unloaded from the cars and started setting up personal tents or helping with the ger.  I just stayed out of the way. 

Once the ger was set up, it was time to protect the site.  A red string was tied from the pillar in the center fo the sacred circle to the stove pipe at the center of the ger.  Another string formed a massive circle around the entire area.  A small entry way was made for cars to enter and leave, as well as for people to go out to relieve themselves. A bucket of herbal arshan (sacred liquid) was set by the entry way so that after leaving the sacred area, one could wash off anything that had been picked up outside.  This circle was to protect the new shaman, who would be especially vulnerable in what was to come.

Once the altars were set up inside the ger and a string attached from ML’s lamps to Damba’s new lamps, Damba changed into his ritual robes for the first time.  He looked very excited about the moment and urged me to take photos while joking around. He would start with ML’s drum, instead of his own, which was being prepared along with other ritual items by his sisters and female relatives.  One woman made “birds nests” out of birch bark with dough eggs.  Another shamaness cut some wool off of a sheep tied up near by and added it to the nest.  Another made dough lamps. 

People shouted for us to gather around. ML put on his headdress, effectively blindfolding him. Two other shamans grabbed him, each by one elbow. He began running clockwise around the sacred circle, wearing his heavy robes and with his drum against his head, drumming and singing a traditional Buryat folk song.   Others, who knew the song, joined the singing, many chasing after Damba as he drummed and ran.  I frequently had to dive out of the way to avoid being stampeded. 

In order to help family that didn’t know the song, ML wrote down the lyrics to the song.  I joined in the singing to help bring the spirit.  After around three rounds, Damba collapsed.  An attendant yanked the headdress off and used his hand to cover Damba’s eyes.  People shouted “shok shok shok!” and some would hit him on the back.  They helped him up and he began drumming and running again. After a few more circles his drumming escalated and he again collapsed. Again, HS yanked off Damba’s mask and covered his face.  I stood next to Damba’s mother, who was looking over my shoulders at the lyrics.  She was gripping the belt of my deel, occasionally leaning against my shoulder. 

“Is this difficult?” I asked,
“Very difficult” she answered nervously.
“Are you scared?” I asked again.
“Yes, scared.”
I leaned back against her.  I was nervous too.  The shaman was trying to take his spirit and go into trance, but there was a problem.  He could not match the time of both expelling his own soul at the same time as his spirit coming in.   The nervousness was well placed. During the first shamanizing, it’s possible for there to be problems, for things to go wrong.  A shaman could lose his soul and die during the shanar.  It’s rare, but far from unheard of. 

After having run and collapsed many times, the shamans brought Damba to one side of the field and had him drum there. I stood close with Damba’s mother, who continued to grip my belt. I put my arm around her, sharing her nervousness.  Manlai’s disciples stood around Damba and supported him as he tried to shamanize. He would drum and go into ecstasy, then collapse again.  Again, someone would push their hand over his eyes while others would slap his back, shouting “shok shok shok!” 

Finally, after this happened several times, something in the drumming changed. Instead of collapsing, it became stronger and stronger and suddenly he swung the drum out behind him and held it against his back. His posture and voice changed, his ongod spirit had come to him.  He sat and greeted his family.  His mother was shaking as she met the spirit. The spirit spoke very personally to her, both of them began crying.  It was deeply emotional for everyone. 

Since it was his first time to shamanize, the other shamans didn’t want him to do it for too long and brought the drum over and the ongod drummed and left.  Damba looked exhausted and a bit confused. Then suddenly a grin spread across his face. He had done it! He was really a shaman now.  He looked thrilled. We congratulated him and he kept grinning.

Soon he was shamanizing again and again. Family, fellow shamanic disciples who had already been initiated, and tushee (attendants) came to greet the spirit as damba briefly shamanized again and again. 

Soon after, ML shamanized as well and met Damba’s spirit, ML also personally met Damba’s spirit. 

After much shamanizing, ML shamanized inside the ger.  Damba, in his robes but not head dress, sat near by.  Two men herded the sheep into the ger and brought it in front of ML’s grandfather spirit.  Grandfather gently pet the sheep, trying to calm it.  He hushed the sheep, gave it tea to drink and milk, and gently spoke to the sheep. 

The two men flipped the sheep over, holding it belly up. Grandfather continued petting the sheep’s head and making calming noises.  One men took a knife and reached out his other hand. Damba handed over one of his sacred mirrors from around his neck.  Swifly, the man cut the sheep’s stomach, reached his hand inside, with the mirror, and almost instantly killed the sheep in the Mongolian fashion and without spilling any blood. Grandfather continued blessing the sheep then brought Damba over, who leaned closely over the head of the sheep.  Soon after the sheep was brought outside for butchering.

The intestines were cleaned out and blood was saved, the meat was separated from then offal. The blood was boiled until it became a solid pudding and some was stuffed and boiled in intestine as a sausage.  We ate some of the blood and offal and some was cooked into a rice porridge.  I’m not a huge fan of blood puddings, but it was alright.


The spirits wanted a party and demanded 55 songs, so all 20+ people crammed into the ger.  My bed would be under the east wall, under all the drums (one of which, specifically the new shaman’s soon-to-be-hingirig, for reasons unknown to me, smelled strongly of urine. I was very happy when that drum was removed from the ger.)

ML introduced his students to the family of the new shaman, and introduced me as a friend of T, ML’s teacher’s teacher, coming to learn about shamans.  Then a cup was passed around. For each person it was filled with vodka, the person would sing a song, then the cup would move to the next person.  When the cup reached me, I tried my best to thank the shamans and family in Mongolian.  I expressed my gratitude that, despite not being a shaman or a family member, or knowing them at all, they had welcomed me with open arms to this personal event.  I then sang the only 2 mongolian songs I know.  In between songs, I joked with Damba and HS, who enjoyed teasing me about my Mongolian. It was crammed and busy, but wonderful.

When we finished singing 55 songs, people went out to their own tents.  I suggled into my sleeping bag and Damba threw a quilt over me.  I used my deel as a pillow and soon fell fast asleep.

August 5th

We woke up around 9:30, which wasn’t bad considering we fell asleep around 2 AM.  I was super excited from the moment I woke up, realizing that today my dad would be arriving in Mongolia.

We had a relaxed morning. I taught ML, HS and Damba how to play a dice game that my father taught me.  This took a large part of the morning.  Damba’s family made tsuiven for lunch.  After lunch, ML encouraged me to join Khulan, HD and a few others for medicinal herbs up the mountain.   We climbed up to find taavan salaa and ganga (wild thyme) but were distracted by the wild strawberries everywhere. It took a while to get up to the top of the mountain where the ganga would be growing because we kept stopping for strawberries.  I burrowed myself in the strawberries and ate my fill.  HS shouted out “There are snakes!”
I responded: “I’m wearing boots!”
“There are wolves”
“I like wolves!”
“There are bears”
“Then it’s like home!”

At that point HS gave up.  At the top of the mountain, we could see all of UB. The view was spectacular. We spent a while collecting several bags of ganga, which is used as incense in shamanic ceremonies, then descended the mountain.  When we came down, there was plenty of boiled meat and meat broth.  I ate and joked around with people.  ML was concerned about whether I was eating enough and kept putting more lean meat on my plate, knowing I preferred it to the fatty meat.


When we came down, several shamans were preparing to shamanize in the circle.  ML, HS, Damba, and another shaman BV were all preparing to shamanize their grandmother spirits.  ML’s grandmother spirit, as previously noted, is a skilled healer, so I asked her to do additional work on my ankle, which was really nice. 

A lot of it was the grandmothers talking to each other. Considering all the shamans were male, this really surreal. 

Then Damba began a special shamanizing. At first I didn’t know what was happening, then it became clear, he was in trance with the spirit of his deceased grandmother who had passed away 6 years ago, giving her a chance to talk to the family. The whole family, and the shaman, were sobbing. It was deeply emotional. Those of us watching were also brought to tears.  We left very soon to give the family privacy.

Finally the shamanizing ended and we all gathered in the ger.  Damba came forward with ritual offerings and made another memorized speech to ML. ML presented him with new cushions.   We all celebrated this new shaman’s achievement, shouting “hurai, hurai, hurai” and waving our hands in clockwise circles. 

Then things were over, just like that. I congratulated the happy Damba and his family.  We took our things out of the ger, the shamans packed up their shrines.  The red string was collected, and the ger dismantled.  The shaman and his family distributed traditional breads, cheeses and sweets to the attendees. We loaded outselves into cars and made our way back to Tolgoit. I was in a rush so ML drove me quickly back to M’s place. 


I packed and organized my things.  Enkhule picked me up and brought me to the airport.  We nearly missed my dad, who somehow managed to walk through arrivals right past us without us seeing each other.  We literally chased him down as he was leaving he airport.  We drove dad over to the hotel, I finally got a shower and we all went to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment