Tuesday, August 26, 2014

August 20-23rd

Because I didn't write during Dad's visit, I am writing up about Dad's time in Mongolia (August 5-19th) at a different pace.  I will post it later

 
August 20th

I woke up at around 3:45 and brushed my teeth and threw on some clothing.  I met dad in the lobby and we headed to the airport.  I hugged him, said goodbye, and headed back to the hotel to get a few more hours of sleep ideally.  I slept very fitfully and, as a result, spent the rest of the day in a sort of stupor. 

I met Gundee for lunch and coffee then headed over to Enkhule’s house to get a bit of sleep, but at 9 I had more work, so I went over to Damba’s place.   Enkhule and M were very concerned, as were their families, about me going to a male friend’s house at night.  I tried to assure them that I was close to his mother and so I wouldn’t really be going alone.

Enkhule and M insisted to drive with me there and meet Damba in person. Damba greeted the with his usual big smile and his mother instantly came out to give me a big hug.  Damba, being a new shaman, had forgotten a few things and had to run out and grab butter for the lamps and milk and things like that.  I sat around chatting with his very sweet mother until he was ready to start.

Since Damba is a new shaman, only around 2 weeks now, he is shamanizing near every night for no purpose other than practice. People are not coming for help or advice, since he is new and inexperienced, so he is shamanizing for his own practice only.  As a result, the only people there were his mother, aunts, his teacher’s assistant and HS, one of his teacher’s fellow students.

It was clear that Damba was very new. There were lots of tiny things, like forgetting to line up the shagai on the altar.  I met grandfather first, but didn’t ask anything.  Next I met grandmother, who again had trouble with my name. She decided I needed a Mongolian name, and asked if I would accept it. I said that I would be pleased. She named me “Tsetsegdulam” (Flower Tara), a nice name that is also the Mongolian version of the name of my friends’ daughter.  It’s a very old fashioned name (not surprising coming from a spirit who is supposed to be hundreds of years old).  But I really like it. She asked if I accepted and liked the name, I said that yes, I did, and that it matched my friends’ child’s name and I was happy.  She said that she would only address me by this name and that the people present should also refer to me by that name.   She asked about my work and about my eyesight and we just talked and laughed a bit. 

When grandmother left, a darker spirit came. I was told not to present myself to him and we even turned out the lights. I was exhausted at this point, so with the lights out I basically fell asleep sitting up.

When shamanizing finished I was too tired to do much. I called Enkhule, but he was asleep, so we called M and Damba’s mom explained that I would sleep there and not to worry. 

Damba asked me about his voice when the spirits came, I told him that it was different, but hard for me to describe in my poor Mongolian.  His mom asked me about my recent trip to khuvsgul. 

I had a migraine from sheer exhaustion and so Damba gave me a great head massage to help relieve it. It really helped.  We chatted a bit more until everyone went to sleep.

August 21st

In the morning, Damba helped me get a taxi to the office.  I had a lot of writing to catch up on after travelling with dad.  Enkhule called me when I was at the office to invite me over to his house, where his father would be preparing Marmot Bodog. Bodog is a special meat preparation, usually used for marmot, whereby the animal is filled with extremely hot stones and cooked from the inside out.

I sat in Enkhule’s tent and played with his little baby as we ate marmot, a very gamey meat, and one of Enkhule’s favorites. At around 10 o’clock, his three year old nephew marched in and asked for me to come into the main house so that he could sleep next to me. How could I possible refuse?    I went in and realized that mostly the nephew wanted to play games on my iphone, but that was OK too, and I curled up and went to sleep.

August 22nd

In the morning I went to the office to do some more writing. I got a call from C, the shamaness who had come with me to Khuvsgul, saying that she had changed plans and would actually be shamanizing that night. Was I available to come? I contacted Gundee and we quickly arranged to meet at 5 o clock and head up to C’s house.

At 3 o clock I had a meeting with NS, a young woman of Tuvan ethnicity who had shamanic potential but wasn’t sure whether or not she would take her spirits on.  It was an interesting discussion. She is a very modern, UB woman, and being a shaman in the Tuvan tradition of her family is another world entirely.  She wasn’t sure she could reconcile those two ways of living. 

I recommended she watch the Korean film “Man on the Edge” for a good laugh, since it’s about a very modern Korean gangster who has to become a shaman.  So it was something she could relate to, and then we enjoyed a coffee. 

I wanted to buy a birthday present for Gunjee, who would be turning 7 in two days, but didn’t have any idea where to go. NS walked me over to a local toy store where she assured me I would find something right. I walked in and found a wall of Asian Barbie knock offs.  PERFECT. Gunjee loves “barbies” none of which are actual barbies. I bought her a “Nancie” veterinary doll, where the pretty, Barbie-like doll is wearing a scrubs/dress and has a little kitten doll as well as a medical box, stethoscope, clip board and more.   S, my host sister and Gunjee’s mother, would also be having a birthday soon, so I went to the state department store and bought her some nailpolish (which she adores) and some nice quality pearlescent makeup.

Gundee met me outside the state dept store and we made our way up to C’s home for shamanizing.  Upon walking into C’s ger I was struck by one thing—OH MY GOSH KITTEN!!!!!!!!  I was destracted for the rest of the time.  BECAUSE KITTEN.  I introduced C to Gundee and C introduced me to her mother and father.  Then she began shamanizing.

I first spoke to grandfather about studies and research. He was very annoyed by the double translation (Archaic Mongolian to Mongolian to English) and tried to have me speak to him directly, so I tried my best.

When it was Grandmother’s time to come, C was decked out in traditional Mongolian headband and earrings and some costume jewelry rings.  She also wore a braided hair extension with traditional hair clips. When grandmother came, she showed off about being fancy with all her jewelry.  She teased me for my costume jewelry earrings.  She gave me the costume jewelry pearl ring off her hand and told me not to lose it and not to submerge it in water. I agreed

Grandmother left and C removed the jewelry and hair extensions and put on a large, sheepskin vest with a mirror on it.  The next spirit was an especially fierce one who demanded to shamanize outside the ger.

Then the shamanizing was complete and C came out of her trance. She asked how it was and said “taking the spirits is very hard.”  Then she looked at my hand. 

“Wait, isn’t that my ring?” She asked.  This was followed by lots of laughing, me sheepishly giggling, and everyone explain that no, not anymore it wasn’t!  I still have the ring.


August 22, Saturday

I mistakenly thought it was Gunjee’s birthday, but it turned out to be the next day, so I spent a very relaxed day at home reading and working on a cross stitching project.  In the evening, I went out with some friends to a local park where we rented two person side by side bike carraiges and rode around the park chasing each other.  It was a lot of fun.

August 23 Sunday

Today would be Gunjee’s birthday.  I helped Gunjee and Soyloo chop potatoes for potato salad and we snacked on fresh pine nuts straight from the pine cone.  Some family members came over and we had buuz and salads and an enormous chocolate cake.  Of course Duulag wanted to steal the chocolate decorations off of Gunjee’s piece, but we wouldn’t let him. Since he is a two year old, this made him break down in sobs.    He also kept trying to play with his big sister’s presents. I really understand the concept of “terrible twos” now.

I gave Gunjee the Barbie doll and a bag of salt water taffies. She adored the doll most of all and kept playing with all the little veterinary accessories.

No comments:

Post a Comment