Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Changing India (IMPORTANT NOTES FOR UPCOMING INDIA TRAVELLERS)

After an overall pleasant couple of flights (Emirates is a great airline) and a grueling 9 hour car ride, I arrived in McLeod Ganj, my base of operations for the next five days.  My number one priority, after lunch, was to get a phone number and internet.

India has always been strict on getting pre-paid sim cards. I had my passport available for photocopy, I had multiple passport sized photographs, and an unlocked phone to put my sim card into.  However, when I got to the store I found out that there are new regulations.

As of 2 months ago, all documents must be approved prior to activation. This means that you will have to wait 5 days for a telephone sim card and 2-3 for a USB mobile internet card.  As someone only in Dhasa for 5 days and needing new ones upon arrival in Bodh Gaya, this was a huge issue.

SO: NOTE TO TRAVELLERS: If you are planning to come to India and have a short time only, have a friend get you your sim card in advance.

Fortunately, my friend Tashi had a spare sim card, which he gave to me. At the moment, for internet I am using my cell phone plugged into my computer and turned on as a mobile hot spot.  It's a pain in the rear, but it works.

Anyway, on to fun stuff. Because of how late I found out I was going to India, no one really knew I was coming. I'm getting a lot of hilarious double takes.

Last night, before jetlag did me in, I was able to conduct one good interview, and I'm looking forward to conducting minimum three interviews today. We'll see if that happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment