Sunday, May 1, 2011

Shakey Shakey!!

So, I haven't written anything because there has not been much exciting news the past few days.

Work, study, relax, repeat.

Nothing exciting...until yesterday.

Yesterday morning I met the parent of some potential students. We went out for lunch, talked about tutoring and then just chatted about life around Taoyuan, and then he took me back to my apartment. I went upstairs to the 12th floor and started removing the stickers from some glass bowls I had bought and chatting with friends online. Suddenly I heard this odd, deep groaning sound and felt the bed swaying.

I looked up and saw the separator in my room waving and the paintings on the walls swinging. I know that on some really tall buildings, they can sway in a strong wind, so although my building is only 12 stories, I looked outside. There was no wind. That's when I figured out it was an earthquake and ran for the door frame.

After what seemed like a long time (but in reality was only about 10-15 seconds) the swaying stopped. I looked out the window and there was no damage, and then proceeded to message the friend with whom I was chatting: "HOLY F***, WE JUST HAD AN EARTHQUAKE" (censored, for more sensitive readers.)

Yep, it was my very first earthquake. A 5.7 in Yilan county, only around a 3-4 in effect here in Taoyuan but felt much stronger atop the 12th floor!

We had a few aftershocks throughout the night, but otherwise things seem to have calmed down. This was, according to the news, the largest quake to hit the island this year. It was scary, but there was no damage or injury.

Ah, adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment